Become a Board Member
The Board of Directors (BOD) is the brain of any organization.
The members of the Board are collectively responsible for the following:
- Developing and advancing the organization’s mission
- Maintaining the organization’s tax-exempt status, and its ability to attract charitable contributions
- Protecting the organization’s resources
- Formulating the organization’s budget
- Hiring and evaluating the chief executive
- Generally overseeing the organization’s management
- Supporting the fundraising the organization undertakes
The BOD has three primary legal duties: “duty of care”, “duty of loyalty”, and “duty of obedience”. These are legal standards against which all actions taken or not taken by directors are measured:
- Duty of Care: Board members shall be reasonably informed about the organization’s activities, participate in decision making, and act in good faith and with the care of an ordinarily prudent person in comparable circumstances. In short, be prepared, pay attention, and participate.
- Duty of Loyalty: Board members shall exercise their power in the interest of the organization and not in their personal interest (personal or professional) or the interest of another entity, particularly one with which they have a formal relationship.
- Duty of Obedience: Board members shall comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws; adhere to the organizations governing documents; and remain guardians of the organizations’ mission.
We are currently seeking people with experience in finance, communications, fundraising, and/or nonprofit law who are willing and able to participate as BOD. You must be willing to share your knowledge and expertise to benefit the organization and work with the CEO and volunteers to fulfill the mission of the organization.
Please use the contact form and submit the following information:
We are currently experiencing difficulty with transferring our email to a new system. Please do not use this form. Send your answers to the questions in the form to the address listed below.